Hi folks. We have stopped for the night in Oakhurst just outside Yosemite. Len is puffed from the high altitude so I am out doing the reccie etc. The Best Western here is fab. Last night we slept in Bridgeport at a Mom and Pop motel and it was nice although the town was definitely a one horse town. We did a bit of a pub crawl to while away the evening and found a nice bar and grill where we played the jutebox and had a couple of beers. Then we went across the street to a hotel that felt like it was right out of Gone with the Wind and had a couple of Sierra Nevada drafts which tasted like John Smiths to me. Back at the hotel we sat in the cool breeze under the pagoda chatting and setting the world to rights. It was grand. We had had a good drive up from Bishop stopping very briefly at Mono Lake and then went into Bodie, the ghost gold rush town. What a place. Wait till you see the pictures. You could feel the people there. At one point a shutter banged and we thought a ghost was inside the building. Then Len heard voices and called me over because he really did begin to think there were ghosts! At that point a ranger opened a door and stepped out! We felt a bit silly!
Today has been indescribable. At one point Len said, Honeypie, I'm not sure which I like better, this or the Grand Canyon. We were gobsmacked by the sheer beauty of the place. I drove and started off apprehensively as I had read on someone else's blog that Route 120 was hairy. It wasn't. A really pleasant drive and certainly nothing like Death Valley. We marvelled at the lakes at 9000 elevation. At the huge pine trees with gnarled roots. We watched climbers going up the sheer granite cliffs and were mesmerised by Bridal Falls where the water seems to fling itself over the edge and every fall of the water takes on a different shape. We stopped to walk down to a rivers edge and wondered if the glittering sand we saw was actually gold and for a moment we were pan handling!
The altitude has been making us a little breathless and giving me headaches but it is worth it. Tomorrow we head for San Francisco and we feel that this has been a fitting end to the national park element of our journey. We have travelled 3500 miles so far. We are excited about seeing San Francisco as it will mean we are topping and tailing the holiday with two great cities. And we are beginning to think about the wedding. What a great way to end a visit - with a wedding which I suspect is going to be on a scale and beauty similar to the sights we have seen on the way.
I am having trouble posting pictures you might have to wait a couple days till we can access a computer that is more receptive to us.
And now to food - we have decided that we are too fat and have enforced a diet on ourselves. So only small portions, only one meal a day and nothing too fattening! Len could in fact go days without eating and never seems to be hungry. I think he is part Apache who they say could travel several days without water just by sucking a pebble. I on the other hand need to be fed three times a day so we have constant battles about mealtimes. Len is winning but I survive by eating biltong, and sucking Jolly Ranchers!(Sugar Free I might add!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You might want to explain to our "British friends" what "Biltong" is!!! I am sure they are having all kinds of visions of what you are snacking on.
Nearly the end of the trail - you better call me before you head back to jolly old England.
Norma
Post a Comment