Wednesday, 11 July 2007

Rolling again.

Today is my turn, on the orders of Carolyn, to log my impressions of the journey since the last blog entry. So here goes.
July 10th
Well here we are rolling down 66 again or more accurately Interstate 40 which has replaced 66 until we reach Albuquerque. It is 8.40 am and the sun is bright in the sky as we head towards our stop over point for the day, Holbrook Arizona. Today with some trepidation I am to meet with the matriarch of the family, Suzanne. Will my worries be realised? I will report back later!

Carolyn and I were playing around with words a couple days ago very much like Bobby Troup had done all those years ago when he penned "Route 66" that's what this road stirs you to do, as you travel down the road, the tyres beat out a steady rhythm as we cross the joints in the pavement, it evokes thoughts about Cadillacs and Chevy Convertibles back in the 50's and 60's, riving here for whatever reason they chose to do it. You can almost hear the cry of "Are we there yet Dad?" It does seem an almost endless journey, not a chore but a real, almost life-changing pleasure of a trip. Thoughts go back to the early years of this road, back to the Depression and Dust Bowl years so graphically depicted in Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath". God what a journey that must have been for the migrants. Their cars and trucks were for the most part decrepit and worn out before they started this marathon journey. Carolyn and I are in a new Volvo with the air conditioning blasting away with outside temperatures in the high 90's and yet we journey in comfort, drinking water and soft drinks plucked from the 12 volt cooler which stands between us. What would those early travellers have given for such luxuries?
Anyway back to the playing with words. Carolyn has reluctanty agreed to allow me to post this poem she wrote at the ranch.

Down the road past old St Louis
Rolling hills - the Ozark's call;
Wild Bill shoots and Springfield echoes
to the sound of Dave Tutt's fall.

On we cruise down haunted pathways
Over iron and concrete paved
Past the gas pumps long abandoned
God bless those who've tried to save

We rise and fall as on the ocean
The temperature begins to rise
We stop to eat and drink in diners
Enjoying steak, and slaw and fries.

Each day brings joys, some unexpected
No two alike yet all are fun
Tomorrow we will journey onward
From break of day to setting sun.

Not bad eh? What do you think? Quite a poet.

July 11th
I said I would report back on Mother Superior. Well she turned out to be a most delightful lady and perhaps Carolyn and Norma had been winding me up. I enjoyed meeting Vic and Henry too and I loved Henry's sense of humor.

After we all arrived at the hotel in Holbrook Henry drove us out to the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert. Truly remarkable places that reminded me of a moonscape. I wondered if perhaps they had falsified the moon landing back in the 60's on this terrain! I will post pictures later which hopefully will do it justice. Henry, with his eagle eyes also spotted some pronghorn deer.

This morning we were all up at 6am - Sue et al were heading back to Tucson (6 hours drive) and we were headed for Chinle in the Navajo reservation. Arizona keeps Pacific time rather than Mountain time but the reservation keeps Mountain time so we needed to head out early in order to have enough time to visit Canyon de Chelly (pronounced Shay)
At every look out point all I could say was, This is incredible! Because it is, seeing the ruins in the rock face standing 700 feet above the river bed. It must have been a hard days climb back home after a day at the office!

Tomorrow we head for the Grand Canyon via the Sunset Crater. But for now I am heading for the biggest steak you have ever seen! (Carolyn is planning to have the Navajo Fry Bread instead.)

2 comments:

It's me! said...

Second attempt as usual - need atraining coruse. What a wonderful way to start a wet, grey (admittedly blamy) thursday morning inLeeds. I almost feel as if I'm on the route with you, although don't think I could manage all the food - what is a grit? Look forward to more poetry

Here am at PLC
Linking up with Maccadee
Travelling en routes beyond my ken
With her pal and co-eater Len!

best I can do at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Have you both been kidnapped?
The outlook must be grim
My father quoted "Steinbeck"
This proves that its not him