Well here we are in The Land of the Free and The Home of the Brave celebrating the Fourth of July! What a patriotic country this is. And just to show we have no hard feelings, Len is wearing an American flag shirt! I would wear mine too only it is too hot out - 90 degrees and very humid.
Last night we went to Branson which is kind of like Nashville Tennessee and took in a Country Show which was fantastic. We had front row seats and, you guessed it, got picked on. In front of 1500 people I was selected to receive a balloon poodle from "Cecil" who had a little flirt. He said, "I think I have a chance with her, look at who she came with!" I'm not sure Len thought that was too funny!
Before we went to the show we had supper at a place called Lamberts, The Home of Throwed Rolls! Called that because when you want a roll you raise your hand and they throw it at you! You ordered your meal but while you were waiting or even while you were eating the waitresses would come round with "freebies" like fried okra and fried potatoes or black eyed peas. It was an eating experience. At the entrance was a sign that said "Handguns and concealed weapons not allowed"! Today we went to the Bass Pro shop and looked at the guns on sale. You could buy rifles, handguns, pistols, you name it.
Today we went downtown Springfield and saw where Wild Bill Hickock shot and killed Jim Tutt and got away with it. Apparently Bill had lost to Tutt in a poker game and forfeited his watch on the understanding that Tutt wouldn't wear it in public. When he did Bill shot him. At his trial he said it was self defence. While we were looking at the "kill" site a nice policeman on a segway took us to see some paintings of the history of Springfield but before he could complete the tour he had to do a little arrest of someone who seemed to be high on drugs. We took some pictures and quietly slipped away not wanting to experience the other side of life in the USA.
We haven't seen a parade or watched a baseball match yet but are looking forward to starting off tomorrow on Route 66. Only have 153 miles to travel tomorrow but it will be along really small country roads so plan to take the day experiencing life on The Mother Road.
6 comments:
My God!! What is that shirt!! Did you win it, find it or are you wearing it for a bet?
you haven't sent your US cell yet! how can we call you?
I have to say, Matthew took the words right out of my mouth in regards to the shirt!!!! All jokes aside though it sounds like you are having great fun. Richards mum and dad have always dreamed of driving Route 66 and are planning on hiring a Ford Mustang and fulfilling their dreams when they retire. They asked me what type of car you had hired but I didn't have a clue, I guessed you had just got a modern one???!!! Anyway I will leave you to your adventures, I am enjoying keeping up to date with your goings on, but I must say that as I started weight watchers on Monday, I do find your blogs are making me very hungry!!!!
Is that a film star standing next to Len in front of the grill? He is a hunk whoever he is!
Sounds amazing so far - Lou and I are tracking your progress!!!!
Miss you already,
Kathy
I agree with the shirt comment, you should be ashamed.
Great pics lenny, I think you should be cycling the route however.
Enjoy, Take care.
Make sure you send loads of postcards to Lawnswood.
Post a Comment