My turn now! I have sent Len to his room to stop him from breathing down my neck while I write this! We have just come back from Wal-Mart and he bought himself a hat and some new sunglasses and plans to lie on the bed in the them and watch telly! He was a riot in the store. Tried on shoes and kept saying, my feet must be swollen or something as none of them fit. What he didn't realise was that American sizes are two sizes bigger so he was trying on shoes that were way too small! We had a giggle over that. (For those of you who patiently waited while he chose his sunglasses in Springfield and are now wondering why he is buying another pair, well he dropped them in the Pioneer Museum in Chandler and the nose thingy broke. He planned to use the super glue we had bought in Springfield to fix them but I kindly left the glue with Norma as I didn't think we would be needing it again this trip. How wrong I was! And how in trouble I am now.)
We are having a blast however. The hotel we stayed in last night was ok except that we had no hot water this morning and no air conditioning either. Tonight we are in a fantastic Best Western so luxurious we feel like celebreties. We are enjoying all the great food too. Had supper last night and breakfast this morning in an old style diner, the kind where you sit up to the counter. Len had his first real American breakfast, complete with pancakes and maple syrup. I tried to get him to have the biscuits and gravy but he isn't too keen on white gravy. Whenever Len opens his mouth people are intrigued by his accent. This morning I overheard the waitress saying to another girl, "I want to hear him talk for no good reason." As we were leaving she said, "Say something to me - anything!" It's funny but America seems to have made Len wax loquacious as I haven't heard him talk so much to so many strangers. He stopped this morning for directions - pulled into a garage where they were repairing cars and got out and asked the man the way to Amarillo.(Well Oklahoma City actually!) The guy was cautious at first to talk to us strangers but then warmed up and wouldn't shut up after that. He had been drinking of course and it was only 9 in the morning!
For lunch today we stopped at the Hillbillies Cafe in Arcadia. It was an experience. We really have to stop all this eating or we will return looking like the Telly Tubbies. The portions are so large it is unbelieveable. The weather has been good to us although it is very hot - in the high 80's and above.
I was going to say what the highlights have been so far but there are so many of them. Seeing family and friends has been special but so has meeting new people and visiting new places. The countryside changes so rapidly, from wooded areas, to flat plains to rolling hills. We are coming close to the end of Oklahoma now and after visiting the ranch will move into Texas and New Mexico where I know it will look and feel different yet again. Can't tell you how exciting it all is. And nice to know you are following the trip with us. We often say, Oh we must put that on the blog and then forget what it was! By the way, Len said I had to say that Gary GAVE us the root beer, we didn't buy it.
2 comments:
Thanks for the update, root beer is a good thing on any trip.
I sure hope you are driving cautiously on our american roads as they are not like the ones we travelled on with you in Scotland!!' Got your little cans of juice, enough to see you through the wedding and your cream. See you Tuesday.
Sue
Post a Comment