Wednesday, 11 July 2007

Navajo story time

Just had to come back on to update you on both supper and an unexpected after dinner talk.
We ate at the restaurant next to the hotel and Carolyn had Mutton Stew and I had Pesole Stew and we both had the Fry Bread. What a super meal. I understand my stew had hominy in it which isn't that what grits is made from? Delicious it was.
After supper we hurried down to the Ranger's Welcome Centre where there was a special presentation by Adam Teller and his Dad. He is a Navajo guide and storyteller and he told us about how the world was created and how Canyon De Chelly was created and finally about the first Spider Woman and how she wove the first rug. His Dad sang two songs for us as well. His Dad lives in the Canyon year round and they both told us about the Code Talkers as Adam's uncle was a code talker. Such a wonderful end to our evening.
It has been threatening to rain all afternoon but nothing but a few rain drops to cool the air some. We will sleep well tonight. Although we didn't hike into the Canyon we feel like we did!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Struggling to keep up with this epic adventure.

Its very grey and dull here in London, but your blog feed which goes straight into my email is a welcome to distraction to mire of dull email.

We do however need more photos!

Put some up and I promise I'll put some of Lottie up also.

Keep on trucking! and by the sounds of it eating also

Anonymous said...

I am envious - I love Canyon De Chelley and the parts of Arizona you are visiting!
Can you access your e-mail? I miss our chats and don't want to air the "family wash" on a public blog!
How is the cooler working out?
Norma

Anonymous said...

WOW - Reading about your fantastic trip takes me back 18 years, when i was driving cross country from NJ to LA and back. Managed to clock up 10,000 miles in a month. Remember picking up a young Navajo hitch hiker somewhere near Flagstaff - Arizona, of which is one of my favourite states.
So looking forward to reading more stories of this great adventure.
Love Miss Yorkshire xx